This was such a fun project to do, especially since I had my boys help out. For this project, I absolutely had no plan as to what I wanted the finished piece to look like. The boys were bored one afternoon so I grabbed some old canvas, acrylic paint, brushes and headed out side. I knew that once they were done painting the color would be pretty muddy but would be a good base once the caked on paint tried. Now the base layer has lots of texture and movement. Oh and the boys loved it!
Look at those faces! My boys just love getting dirty and then getting hosed down. After several hours of drying I grabbed some left over spray paint and organically added some green around the edges and then accented with gold around the edge of the green.
After the spray paint dried, I brought everything inside to add a few more layers. I then decided to add a layer of a burgundy color that I had along with some jagged white brush strokes that followed the lines of the spray paint. I decided it needed more white accents. I painted the white on and then dipped my brush in water and swirled the brush while painting back over the white until I got the look I wanted. I did this until the white was washed out and used a paper towel to pat down any of the runs or excess water.
I like the look of it so far but doesn’t quite seem done yet. I decided to add some gold foil leafing to the gold areas to finish it off. I first put down some Mod Podge, then started adding the gold foil leaf. Once it was dry I lightly brushed off the excess before sealing it with another layer of Mod Podge.
Now its done and I just have to figure out where it should go or if I even have a wall free in my house. On to the next project!