DIY Headboard

I have this beautiful large frame that was generously given to me by my MIL. It previously had a mirror in it that had cracked and had been removed and had a few cracks in the frame here and there. As soon as I saw it I had a plan of turning it into a headboard. This was a very quick, easy and inexpensive project. I paid a total of around 15$ for the entire project. The only thing I purchased was the fabric and crib size batting from Hobby Lobby.

IMG_3351

Since the frame is in rough shape I decided to give it a distressed look and white washed, then dry brushed paint on it. I First added paint to all the edges and crevices and then wiped away the excess so that all cracks would fill in with white.

Some of the corners were slightly split and cracked from the outside corner to the inside corners so I decided to patch them and create the same look in each corner to add to the distressed look. Then I dry brushed over the entire frame. Dry brushing is really simple after dipping the brush in paint you brush/ dab off all the excess paint so you are left with very little on the brush. This helps to create the light brush strokes, leaving the frame color visible while adding a textured look.

IMG_3355

After the patin was dry, I took out the backing to use as backing for the inside padded area I wanted to create. For the padding I tore apart an old crib mattress that was lying around in my basement (this was not easy but it did the trick). I pretty much ended up having to tear it apart with my hands because the mattress as is would be way too thick as is. I laid out the crib size batting, laid down my mattress stuffing and the backing on top if it and started stapling. I used the batting to keep the stuffing stiff and in place. This way I was able to keep the shape before adding the fabric.

IMG_3394

Before stapling down the fabric, I ironed out all the lines and creases then repeated the same process with the fabric. I folded the edges of the fabric over before stapling so the back would be a little neater (not that anyone will see it). Now I have the raised padded area that will fit back into the frame with little effort.

I pushed the padded area into the frame, secured the backing back to the frame and done. Now to hang it on the wall. Luckily this frame had all the hardware needed to hang a large heavy piece on the back. I love how this project tuned out and only took a couple of hours out of my weekend to complete. It also will be a great focal point for the guest room that I am slowly working on fixing up. Anything to get my parents in town more often. Now to add some new paint and work on the idea of adding a basement bathroom.

Before:IMG_3407

After:

DSC_0543

DSC_0544

DSC_0545DSC_0547

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s