When my littles get scared at night and have bad dreams we make dream catchers of course. This was an easy and fun craft for my boys. They helped with most of it but there were definitely times when they were interested in other things and had mom take over. I had not made these before but knew I could throw something together. I went to Hobby Lobby to get supplies and gathered any and everything I had at home. This is what I started with but did not end up using everything.
We started with the wooden embroidery hoops and wrapped them with yarn in the boys choice of color. Then we wrapped the black sparkly pipe cleaners over the areas where we tied knots in the yarn. I decided to use the pipe cleaners decorated with colorful beads to start the inside of the dream catchers (again in each boys choice of colors). Pipe cleaners were great for this project since they can easily be wrapped around and don’t need to be tied.
The next part was to add the yarn to the center. Just tie it where you want to start and string it across the pipe cleaners. The boys were about done at this time so I finished up with the string and they helped do the rest. I gave them each yarn with the ends knotted around feathers and let them add beads to each. The yarn started to fray on the ends so I wrapped tape around each end so they could easily add beads. Then I tied them on the hoops and added one pipe cleaner to the top for hanging. If I had a glue gun near by, I would have secured the string and feathers a bit more. More than likely I will be doing this soon, when one accidentally breaks apart.
Only one kid was interested in taking a picture, so here you go. Easy dream catchers you can make with your kids.
The fabric bins in the boys playroom have seen better days and are ready for an upgrade. They have used them as boats, cars, hats and just about anything you could imagine. With three little ones, saving a little money here and there really helps. Also, I love creating things myself so why not?
My inspiration was these adorable bins at The Land of Nod. I love these, but at $12.95 per bin it will start to get costly as I need 6 bins. So I did a little searching and found a lot of 6 in a similar color on Amazon for less than $20. Now to add the numbers.
My plan was to hand paint the numbers but in the sake of time I tried something a little different. I found this fabric spray paint at Hobby Lobby and decided to give it a go. I laid out my stencils, taped them down to keep them in place and protect them from overspray. The stencils are probably not the best for fabric as they don’t completely lay flat. As I sprayed I would hold down edges with my fingers so that the paint wouldn’t bleed under the edges. If you do this same method, I would recommend gloves. I could not find many font options in the stencils so I went with what I could find. For this reason I would have preferred to hand paint the numbers to get exactly what I wanted. They are not perfect, but turned out really cute! This would also look great on bright colors. You could really add anything, outlines of figures, objects, words or fun designs.
Yes, my two year old is only wearing underwear. These days we are lucky to get anything on him at all. 🙂
Here is my Inspiration:
I love the wood texture mixed with the color and it will just be perfect in the twins room. I got the Ikea Rast dresser for only 30$. Once all assembled, I painted the base with two coats of the blue chalky paint from Lowes.
Tip: They can tint the chalky paint to any swatch in the store, so don’t get discouraged if the hand out does not show the exact color you want.
Next came the drawers… They originally came with pulls so I filled them in with wood filler and then sanded them down once the filler was dry. To get the notches for the drawers, I first created a template with a piece of paper so that the notches could be the same on each drawer. I measured the center of each drawer and traced the template. Now for the tricky part, cutting the notches out. I used a jig saw to cut out the notches which was fairly easy but being the first time using one I was a little worried. They looked a little rough after I first cut them down but that was all fixed by a little sanding.
Then I stained the drawers (sides included) along with the wood I cut down and sanded for the new top. For the top I got a small lodgepole pine panel from Lowes that is wrapped and ready to go (less than $10). It matches the wood on the dresser perfectly and only needed a few inches cut off.
Now for the fun part, adding the letters! I wanted a similar look to one of my inspiration pictures shown but I want the letters to be wood grain and the rest to be blue. If only I would have ordered my paint mask decals correctly. I needed my decals to be reversed from what I got so that the wood grain would show through where the letters are. Instead of abandoning my original idea, I decided to use the decals as stencils. I traced around the letters and peeled the decals off. I of course had to choose some of our favorite places to stencil on each drawer.
Tip: When you use decals for painting projects be sure to get the paint mask material. Regular vinyl decal material is too sticky and will take off the paint and finishes underneath.
I then hand painted around each letter. Two coats of paint on each drawer and I was almost done. This definitely took me much longer than I planned but will be worth it in the end.
After all the paint was dry, I sealed the drawers and the dresser base with the clear Chalky paint sealant and sealed the new wood dresser top with a one coat polyurethane. I screwed the new top in through the bottom of the original dresser top in several areas, anchored it to the wall between the boys beds and put the drawers in. Now its ready for decorations! I had so much fun on this project and can’t wait to share more with you!
Let me now what you think! I so enjoy this project, its by far my favorite!